General Policy guidelines for Indian (Miscellaneous) Travel

Possession of travel documents- In 1920, the government of India has made entry to India easy by passing the act for provisions in the Passport (Entry Travel or X-Misc-visa) and the Rules made thereunder for the foreign nationals. According to this rule whenever the foreigner enters India must have a possessed, valid national passport or any other worldwide recognized document with whom he or she can prove his or her nationality and identity which contains; his/ her photograph, expiry date of passport, name, address, nationality, etc. so that he or she can apply for a valid visa for India at the Indian representative abroad.

Identity documents required for the nationals of Nepal and Bhutan for traveling and entering India

If a citizen of Nepal or Bhutan entering India through air or land from their country crossing borders does not require a passport or visa for entry in India, however, they should be in possession of any of the following identity documents which are mentioned below—

  1. Nepalese or Bhutanese Passport
  2. Nepalese or Bhutanese Citizenship Certificate that proofs he or she is the citizen of that place.
  3. Voter ID card issued by the (Government of Nepal or Bhutan) Election Commission.
  4. A valid photo-identity certificate issued by the Royal Bhutanese Mission or Nepalese Mission in India must show when asking for the identity.
  5. However, if a citizen of Nepal or Bhutan coming to India from a place other than Nepal or Bhutan, then he or she must be in possession of a passport or holding their passports with themselves.
  6. In case the citizen of Nepal or Bhutan coming from China, Macau, Pakistan, Hong Kong, and the Maldives, then they must have a visa for India.
  7. In case, if a citizen of Nepal or Bhutan enters India on a valid Nepalese or Bhutanese passport, then will not be allowed to proceed to any third country from India, unless they have a ‘No objection Certificate’ from the Embassy of Nepal or Royal Bhutanese Mission in India.

For Children (10-15 years)

  1. If children coming to Indian with their parents, then they must show a photo ID issued by their school and must have valid traveling documents. However, there is no need for documents if children are below the age group of 10 years.
  2. If the citizen of Nepal or Bhutan coming with their minor children (below 15 years), then he or she must obtain a photograph (with a name written on the photo) and in the passport of both parents.
  3. Minor children whose name is written in their parents’ passport must obtain a valid Indian visa so that the parents can travel with their minor children to India.

Note: children who are above the age of 16 years must have a valid and separate national passport so that they can travel to India without facing any issue. However, children who have already arrived on their parent’s passport to India must apply for a separate passport when they reach the age of 16 years while in India.

Application for grant of Indian visa

An applicant who is applying for an Indian visa must submit an online application. For this purpose, the applicants are requested to log on to or However, the foreigner should present in the jurisdiction of the Indian Mission or Post at the time of applying an application and for a grant of an Indian travel.

Requirements for Miscellaneous Travel

  1. Strictly no amendment in the application form, and every single detail should be in type written (*must not forget to type exact details which are written on your passport).
  2. Uploading of photographs. The Embassy or the authority of immigration wishes that all photographs which you are going to upload must match the given instruction: apply for the Basic Life Support. The photo should be the same as the 3.5* 3.5 cm picture attached in the application form.
  3. Your photo must be in size (3.5*3.5 cm or 3.5*4.5 cm)
  4. Your photo must not have shadow in the face or on the background
  5. Your photo should be clear
  6. Photocopy of passport (back and front)
  7. NO scanned signature.
  8. Foreign Nationals or citizens desire to enter in India with Miscellaneous Travel must provide an explanation letter why they’re applying for this travel. *Hand written is not allowed.
  9. Passport with a minimum validity of six months from the date of visiting India.
  10. You must have a photocopy of the passport bio page.
  11. Lease license of tenant

*Embassy may ask for the additional document if needed from the applicant.

Documents and other details

All pages of the miscellaneous visa or Entry visa application form must be printed on the letter-head paper and the Undertaking must be signed with date and stamp. Two copies of the filled application form have to be submitted with the Undertaking to the Embassy of India, and should contain the following information which is written below:

Documents required for miscellaneous visa or entry visa: Firstly, the applicant needs to submit his or her application for the same with these documents

>> 2 recent Passport size photos.

>> Original Passport.

>> Photocopy of the passport with the relevant pages including residence visa page

>> Application Form

>> Undertaking

>> Detailed Synopsis

>> Itinerary (Ports of entry and exit from India to be indicated)

>> Bio-profile with details:

Name and surname as featuring in the passport
1. Contact coordinates – telephone & e-mail address
2. Profession
3. Nationality
4. Date and place of birth (Day/ Month/ Year)
5. Passport number & validity

After submission of the entire entry visa or misc visa application online with the documents, colored photograph signature, and the files which mentions above, have to submit to the Indian Mission/ Post/ Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO)/ Foreigners Registration Officer (FRO) concerned for an advance verification.

Conversion of travel or Travel-on-Arrival or Tourist Travel or Employment Travel or Business Travel or Student Travel or Research Travel to Entry visa (Miscellaneous visa)

If a foreign national on Travel on arrival or travel or tourist visa or business visa or Employment visa or research visa or student or marries an Indian national or Indian origin citizen or OCI cardholder during the validity of his or her Indian visa may be converted to Entry or Miscellaneous visa after registering themselves to the Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO)/ Foreigners Registration Officer (FRO) concerned.

Procedure to be adopted by the medical hospitals in case a foreigner on business/tourist/employment/student/research visa falls ill during staying in India

In such cases, if a visa holder is suddenly suffering from a minor medical problem, which does not need prolonged treatment or hospitalization, then he or she will be able to get treatment from the Indian hospitals. However, in case the visa holder needs continuous treatment of 180 days or the days of his or her visa validity, then the foreigner can take permission for treatment from 3 Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO)/ Foreigners Registration Officer (FRO) concerned after submitting his or her medical certificate from a government / ICMR (Indian Council of Medical Research)/ NABH (National Accreditation Board for Hospitals & Healthcare Providers)/ MCI (Medical Council of India)/ CGHS (Central Government Health Scheme) recognized hospital. In this situation, the FRRO/ FRO concerned will issue or grant you a ‘Medical Permit’ without converting the Travel to a Medical Travel. However, conversion to Medical Travel will be issued if the treatment of foreigners exceeds 180 days or the validity period of his or her Indian travel.

Restriction on engaging in tabligh (religious) activities

If a foreigner coming to India on any type of visa and OCI card will not be permitted to get in touch in tabligh or religious work or activities. However, there will be no restriction in visiting temples or any religious spot, but the foreigner is not allowed to give speeches in religious places, preaching religious ideologies, distribution of visual display or audio or pamphlets.

Dock Entry permission to foreign nationals visiting the dock area in the seaports

Foreigners must take No Objection Certificate from the Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO)/ Foreigners Registration Officer (FRO) concerned in the case, you are visiting the dock area (port premise), which is a prohibited place. In such circumstances, the local shipping agents must request the FRRO or FRO so that the agent gets NOC from the authority. However, the Port Authority will issue the Dock Entry Permit once they witness the NOC from the FRRO or FRO concerned.

A foreigner coming from Yellow Fever endemic countries

In case, the foreign nationals coming from Yellow Fever endemic countries or if he or she has visited any Yellow Fever country during 6 days will have to possess a valid certificate of Yellow Fever vaccination from the authority of vaccination centre.

However, the validity period for that international certificate of vaccination for yellow fever will active after 10 days for lifelong.

At present, the following countries are regarded as yellow fever infected countries:

AFRICA: Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Cote d’ Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Mauritiana, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Sudan, South Sudan, Togo, Uganda (30 countries).

AMERICA: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guyana, Guyana, Suriname, Trinidad (Trinidad only), Venezuela, Panama, Paraguay, Peru (13 countries).

Categories and sub-categories of travel

Sr. No.Main Category of TravelSub-categoryDescription
1e-Travele-TVe-Tourist Travel
  e-BVe-Business Travel
2Transit TravelTRTransit Travel
3Tourist TravelT-1Tourist Travel for individual
  T-2Tourist Travel for group
  T-3For Cruise tourism
4Medical TravelMEDFor all foreign people who are coming on Medical Travel
5Medical Attendant TravelMED XFor medical experts or students coming as Medical Attendants
6Business TravelB-1Business Visitor coming to India to attend business meetings, technical meetings etc.
  B-2For Business Visitor from small and medium business
  B-3Business Visitor from large business
  B-4Business Travel for Investors
  B-5Crew of non-scheduled airlines chartered flights operated by such airlines and Special flights
  B-6Foreign academicians/ experts covered under GIAN
  B-7Foreign nationals coming for business functions as Directors of the company
  B-8Other Miscellaneous categories who are eligible for Business Travel which are not covered by above sub-categories
  B-SportsForeign nationals who are engaged in commercial sports events, sports functions or league   in India including coaches
  B-1 X
B-2 X
B-3 X
B-4 X
For Business Travel holders
7Employment TravelE-1Short term remunerative employment 6 months
  E-2Long term remunerative employment beyond 6 months
  E-3For Intra-company transferee
  E-4For honorary work with NGOs
  E-5Staff/ Faculty in South Asian University and Nalanda University
  E-1 X
E-2 X
E-3 X
E-4 X
E-5 X
For Employment Travel holders
8Project TravelPFor those people who are coming to execute projects in Steel and Power sectors
  P-XProject Travel holders
9Intern Travel1-1Intern under French VIE program
  1-2Intern who are coming with business house, sponsored by AIESEC
  1-3Intern who are coming with NGOs and Educational Institutions sponsored by AIESEC
  1-4Intern who are coming India with Foreign Media Organizations or Indian company
10Film TravelFFor those who are coming for shooting a feature film/ reality TV show and/ or commercial TV serials.
11Student TravelS-1For doing courses in India in Colleges/ Universities etc.
  S-2For School education
  S-3Provisional Student Travel
  S-4For short term courses
  S-5For those who are coming Indian to study Yoga, Vedic Culture and Indian Systems of Music and dance and Buddhist studies
  S-6For those students who are coming under Student Exchange Programme in terms of Agreements with various countries including trainees at a designated civilian or defence establishment
  S-7For students of South Asian University and Nalanda University
  S-8For Theological Studies and Missionary students
  S-1 X
S-6 X
People who are coming under S-1, and S-6 travel.
12Research TravelR-1For Research scholar coming to work at a recognized Indian Institution
  R-2For faculty coming to work at recognized Indian Institution
  R-3For Research Scholar on a bilateral exchange program
  R-4Members of Botanical, Scientific, Anthropological etc. expeditions
  R-1 X
R-2 X
R-3 X
For those who are coming India o Research Travel.
13Conference TravelC-1For people who are coming to India for conferences organized by the private company and Government authorities
  C-2For people who are coming to India for conferences organized by the private company
14Mountaineering TravelM-XFor foreign people coming for Mountaineering expeditions tour
15Missionary TravelM-1For Missionary/ Religious worker or helper
  M-1 XFor Missionary/ Religious worker
16Journalist TravelJ-1For Foreign audio-visual or print media journalists
  J-2For Audio-visual or print media journalists
  J-3Foreign nationals coming for shooting a firm, of advertisement or making documentary films etc
  J-TJournalist coming to India for tourism
  J-1XDependents of foreign who are coming to India audio- visual or print media journalists
17Entry TravelX-1Indian Origin who do not have OCI card
  X-2Foreign nationals married to Indian Persons / OCI cardholder and their children
  X-3For those who are coming to join Auroville Foundation or Missionaries or Aurobindo Ashram, Puducherry
  X-4For those who want to own property in India
  X-5Officials on a personal visit to India
  X-5DOrdinary passport holder coming to India for meetings including in the UN and Non -UN International organizations
  X-MiscFor purposes which doesn’t come under any other visa category
  X-SPFor Sports Persons
18Diplomatic TravelD-1Diplomats assigned on Diplomatic Passport
  D-2Diplomat on a visit to India for meetings
  D-3Diplomats who are assigned to Non – UN International Organization such as ADB, ICRISAT, ICRC etc
  D -1 X
D -2 X
D -3 X
19Official TravelO-1Non -diplomatic official who are assigned to a diplomatic Mission in India on Special Passport
  O-2For Non -diplomatic official on a visit for official purpose
  O-1XDependent of Non – diplomatic official who are assigned in India for some work
  O-2XFor Dependent of nondiplomatic official or people who are visiting India for official purpose
20UN Diplomat TravelUD-1For UN Diplomat and who are assigned to visit India
  UD-2For UN Diplomat
  UD-1XFor Dependent of UN Diplomat who are assigned to visit India
  UD-2XFor Dependent of UN Diplomat
21UN Official TravelUO-1For UN Non-Diplomatic official who are assigned to India
  UO-2For UN Non-Diplomatic official
  UO-1XDependent of UN Nondiplomatic official who are assigned to India
  UO-2XFor Dependent of UN Nondiplomatic official
22Pakistan Specific TravelsVVisitor Travel
  PG-1Pilgrim Travel
  PG-2Pilgrim Travel for group and minority community in Pakistan
23Bangladesh Specific TravelX-Double Entry TravelDouble Entry Travel
24Travel on ArrivalVADouble entry visa for 60 days (only for Japanese Nationals)

Note: Duration of Travel or the number of entries in India is purely the discretion of the Indian Embassy, or Consulate has no role in order to make any approach or process. The applicant has to observe and realize that Travel will not be a subject of right, and, hence the Embassy / Consulates might deny the visa if no longer observed the eligibility / or does no longer have adequate supporting documentation. If the process is not matching according to the demand from the authority will not grant a Miscellaneous or entry visa if you request more days or time in India. So, provide your details and information before you submit your application, and must pay your application process amount. There will be no clarifications on this regard, and the resolution or decision of the Embassy / Consulate will probably be final.

Travel Categories

E-visa India Support center



Worldwide Phone Support (24*7)

E-Travel India Process

Consultations for prospective immigrants

The nation believes in eradicating the gap Of countries with a reforming bridge Of immigrant policy to boost humanity and kindness. Read More